Senate Select Committee Submission
New Beats made the following submission to the Senate Select Committee on the Future of Public Interest Journalism in June 2017. New Beats submission – Future of Public Interest Journalism
Sherwood, M., & O’Donnell, P. (2016). Once a Journalist, Always a Journalist? Journalism Studies, 1-18. doi: 10.1080/1461670X.2016.1249007
Zion, L., Dodd, A., Sherwood, M., O’Donnell, P., Marjoribanks, T., & Ricketson, M. (2016). ‘Working for Less: the aftermath for journalists made redundant in Australia between 2012 and 2014.’ Communication Research and Practice, 2, (2), 117-136. doi: 10.1080/22041451.2016.1185924 . (Article based on findings from our 2014 survey of 225 journalists in Australia.)
Zion, L., Sherwood, M., O’Donnell, P., Dodd, A., Ricketson, M., and Marjoribanks, T. (2016) ‘“It has a bleak future”: The effects of job loss on regional and rural journalism in Australia.’ Australian Journalism Review, 38, (2), 115-128. http://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=638121810905172;res=IELLCC
Conferences and Forums
Journalism and Insecure Work, 4-7 July 2017
New Beats Panel Presentation – ANZCA -Australian and New Zealand Communications Association 2017
1. ‘Career Paths or Pain – Young journalists, newsroom job cuts and insecure work’ – Penny O’Donnell, Merryn Sherwood and Monika Winarnita
2. ‘J-Networks in the Aftermath of Redundancy’ – Tim Majoribanks, Lawrie Zion and Merryn Sherwood.
3. ‘Redundancy Experiences’ – Matthew Ricketson and Andrew Dodd.
‘Regional Journalism: the aftershock’, April 2016
A forum on the impact of journalism job redundancies on regional journalism held at La Trobe University’s Wodonga campus. The panel that was moderated by A/Prof Andrew Dodd from the New Beats team. You can hear the discussion, on Radio National’s Big Ideas at this program link.
Discussing the issues were:
-Di Thomas – former Border Mail editor, now editor of The Shepparton News
-Brad Worrall – former Border Mail journalist, now a journalist with North East Media
–Cathy McGowan, MP, Federal Member for Indi
-Professor Lawrie Zion – Lead Chief Investigator of the New Beats team.
New Beats Panel Presentation – JERAA – Journalism Education and Research Association of Australia Conference 2015
Panel – Lawrie Zion, Penny O’Donnell, Matthew Ricketson, Andrew Dodd, Tim Marjoribanks, Merryn Sherwood
1. ‘Project Update and 2015 Survey Results’
2. ‘Regional & Rural Experiences’
3. ‘What Does it Mean for Journalism’
New Beats Presentation – JERAA – Journalism Education and Research Association of Australia Conference 2014
1. ‘New Beats Overview’ – Lawrie Zion, Penny O’Donnell, Matthew Ricketson, Andrew Dodd, Tim Marjoribanks
2. ‘The Redundancy Experience’ – Matthew Ricketson, Andrew Dodd
3. ‘What Happens Next’ – Penny O’Donnell, Merryn Sherwood
New Beats Presentation – JEAA – Journalism Education and Research Association of Australia Conference 2013
‘New Beats – A study of Australian journalists who became redundant in 2012’ – Lawrie Zion, Merryn Sherwood
- “Beyond the newsroom” Mark Deuze lecture on ABC Radio National’s Big Ideas, December 12, 2017.
- ‘Life after redundancy: what happens next for journalists when they leave newsrooms’, by Lawrie Zion in The Conversation, May 9, 2017.
- “Regional journalist forum”, ABC Radio National’s Big Ideas, June 22, 2016.
- “Redundant journalists update”, ABC Radio National’s The Media Report, December 3, 2015.
- “Beyond the Big R: Life after Redundancy”, video of Melbourne Press Club panel on June 3, 2015.
“Exiting journalists marching to a new beat, survey finds”, by Krati Garg, The Citizen, April 24, 2015. (A shorter version of this article also appeared in Crikey on the same day.)
- “Where do redundant jouralists go? “ by Lawrie Zion in The Conversation, December 2, 2013. This article was also republished in mUmBRELLA and News International
- “Less, pay, less stress for axed journos”, by Sally Jackson in The Australian, December 2, 2013
- “Study to track the progress of journalists riding the 2012 wave of redundancies”, by Lawrie Zion in the Public Interest Journalism Foundation website, July 16, 2013
- Interview with Lawrie Zion on ABC Radio National’s The Media Report, July 11, 2013
- “Study follows new beats in journalism”, by Lara Sinclair in The Australian, July 8, 2013
- “Research project to examine impact of journalist redundancies”, by Nic Christensen in mUmBRELLA, July 8, 2013